So I couldn’t help smiling reading the Metro* on the Tube this morning** when I came across this piece on Furries. Yes, Furries in the Metro.
It neatly explains and quite successfully normalises the motivations behind the human desire to dress as an animal and hang around with others who like the same.
It even gives readers some tips on furry lingo. Says the piece:
A common misconception about furries is they want to have sex with real animals. This confusion often comes from hardcore sites which contain sketches of a half-man, half-zebra figure having sex with a lion or orgies of lesbian wolves. Others describe the beauty of busty cows and curvy, doe-eyed donkeys. However, this is an unfair reflection – furries are far more interested in the idea of humans and animals ‘as one’.
Of course, Furries have been a big part of online cultures for a long long time, and they are very visible in places like Second Life.
But I am tempted to check out the furry meets, especially the world’s largest furmeet which, according to the article, takes place in Pittsburgh. Around 4,000 furries are expected at Anthrocon, next week.
I especially like this comment from one of the contributors, FoxB:
I know of relationships that evolve in the furry community between two people but I just like dressing up and looking like a prat. It makes me happy.
Nice to see the Metro shining a light on the furry fellas.
*The Metro is the free newspaper every commuter in urban areas across the UK know and sometimes love.
**Despite many irritating delays today.
***Image from the Metro. I love the bunny at the end fiddling with his/her head.
Posted in culture, news
Tagged culture, furries, furry, internet, londontube, Metro, news, newspaper, secondlife, subculture
Classic British reaction to Thriller dance on the London Tube. Even down to the polite applause at the end.
In honour of my hateful Tube journey this morning, I have some lovely snippets of overheard, real life Tube Gossip from the one and only Manwhofellasleep. I started blogging about him before he got famous. So there.
3 January 2008:
1. He seems to have found his niche. He’s wearing converse and hanging out with indie kids.
2. …and I told him I didn’t care how many tea towels he had I wasn’t letting him rub it on me…
3. She’d actually left the tops on the carrots. Perhaps that’s how they cook them in Brazil.
4. East Ham and West Ham are just two sides of a village called Ham.
5. You just want to kill me, innit?
6. All i said was, if your girlfried was pregnant and, like, lactating, right, would you not find it kinky to milk her?
7. Who spells Jack with an I?
8. To be fair mate, it’s your call. Just don’t tell her I told you.
9. Why isn’t there a universal shoe size measuring system?
10. Have no fear, Graham’s here.