I heard the sad news today that pioneer of “gonzo journalism”* Hunter S Thompson was found dead after an apparent suicide at his fortified home. This should not surprise me having just read his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but it does puzzle me. Apparently he held a big superbowl party once which George W Bush attended. That was during old George’s drug daze – alledgedly.
I only just read Fear and Loathing on my return from my first trip to Las Vegas in January. And funnily enough was thinking about him last night whilst watching Sideways for some reason.
Damn shame. Interesting to have been a fly on his wall on 20 January 2005.
*Where a journalist is part of the commentary. Really like an early form of blogging.
- 101,551 hits
what you apparently like
- RT @stukiii: Great opportunity, right here! Get involved #esport #EducationForAll #players twitter.com/DigSchoolhouse… 1 hour ago
- RT @ukieluke: So @uk_ie have recently been joined by our ace new Policy & Events Intern @ukiegrace1. Read all about her *oustanding* first… 2 hours ago
- Very much enjoying my regular weekend, swing chair, tea swigging reads of @harari_yuval #21essons 1 day ago
- RT @SpecialEffect: It's the final day of #RTGfest and the @SpecialEffect volunteer crew has gained a special guest helper!! https://t.co/5l… 1 day ago
- A Private War: devastatingly disturbing. 1 day ago
straight from my camera