I heard the sad news today that pioneer of “gonzo journalism”* Hunter S Thompson was found dead after an apparent suicide at his fortified home. This should not surprise me having just read his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but it does puzzle me. Apparently he held a big superbowl party once which George W Bush attended. That was during old George’s drug daze – alledgedly.
I only just read Fear and Loathing on my return from my first trip to Las Vegas in January. And funnily enough was thinking about him last night whilst watching Sideways for some reason.
Damn shame. Interesting to have been a fly on his wall on 20 January 2005.
*Where a journalist is part of the commentary. Really like an early form of blogging.
- 101,329 hits
what you apparently like
- RT @FindingAda: Are you a STEM recruiter? Sign up for our online careers fair for women in STEM: 3 seats, unlimited job listings https://t.… 13 hours ago
- RT @FuturLab: We’re so hiring! Retweet this *loads* and we’ll announce our new game. Promise. futurlab.co.uk/jobs 14 hours ago
- RT @Bill_Gross: In the "I'm getting old" department.., a kid saw this and said, "oh, you 3D-printed the 'Save' Icon." https://t.co/rwgCpSjf… 20 hours ago
- RT @UkieStudents: Only a few days left to grab a ticket! twitter.com/postgrad_com/s… 20 hours ago
- RT @londongamesfest: Heading to @SlushHQ in December, or curious for a taster? Free Slush Small Talk in London next Monday #LDNMeetsSLUSH h… 20 hours ago
straight from my camera