I heard the sad news today that pioneer of “gonzo journalism”* Hunter S Thompson was found dead after an apparent suicide at his fortified home. This should not surprise me having just read his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but it does puzzle me. Apparently he held a big superbowl party once which George W Bush attended. That was during old George’s drug daze – alledgedly.
I only just read Fear and Loathing on my return from my first trip to Las Vegas in January. And funnily enough was thinking about him last night whilst watching Sideways for some reason.
Damn shame. Interesting to have been a fly on his wall on 20 January 2005.
*Where a journalist is part of the commentary. Really like an early form of blogging.
- 102,794 hits
what you apparently like
- RT @uk_ie: On this week's Meet the Ukie Team, it's our Intellectual Property co-ordinator Mo Ali! Mo talks Intellectual Property, Gran Tur… 1 day ago
- RT @BAFTAGames: We are very sad to hear that Sir Clive Sinclair has died. We have fond memories of the ZX Spectrum - the computer that turn… 1 day ago
- RT @DannyT: These awards (and a lot of the work @GIBiz do) are really great for the industry. It's refreshing to highlight some of the amaz… 1 day ago
- RT @GeekDadGamer: It's been a joy working with Nintendo to get these families making games with Game Builder Garage. Make their day and sha… 1 day ago
- Massive well done to you all! 👏 twitter.com/MCV_DEVELOP/st… 1 day ago
straight from my camera